PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2013, 21:36
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aberdeen to East Shetland basin destinations approx 250 NM plus another 100 NM or so to Bergen as diversion, when Shetland is unavailable due fog. This the EC225 does comfortably with a full 19 pax load in still air. The S92 can't even come close with a full load.

Round trips from Aberdeen to the southeast decks, like Fulmar 150 NM-ish each way and still enough fuel on return to Aberdeen to divert to Wick, Inverness, Dundee or Edinburgh depending on weather. No offshore refuel needed and 19 pax each way.

Aberdeen to well NW of Scatsta (60 + NM-ish past Scatsta), non-stop with 19 pax and straight back to ABZ with Edinburgh, Glasgow or Prestwick as alternates.

Aberdeen to 70?-ish west of Donegal full load, non-stop and same in reverse. I'm not at work so can't give precise figures, but these are the kind of trips I/we have done often and routinely. It's easy except when the weather is quite poor.

Speaking to our S92 drivers, I get the impression that with a full 19 pax the latest (heavy) S92s can't even manage three quarters of these distances.

The EC225 is near-miraculous in its capabilities and I think it is unlikely to be matched for many years yet. Of course I'm biased. Once someone has tasted chocolate, why would they want anything else? I yearn to fly it again, but that doesn't mean that I'm making up unrealistic scenarios in the foregoing paragraphs.