PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea heli ditching: Oct 2012
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2013, 18:48
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"My company is looking to S-92s and EC175s as the future fleet for our offshore support now, our plans now exclude the 225."

At the risk of being shot down in flames, I'm not indulging in customary S92 bashing; just pointing out that my source who is privy to meetings with senior helicopter managers and senior oil managers, recently got the clear message that the senior oil people don't want a world without the EC225.

Those who had no previous experience of their pax being carried long distance in the S92 are now better able to appreciate its limitations of range versus load capabilities, not to mention such factors as inordinate time spent running refuelling on helidecks.

To make matters worse for the S92, the latest models on order are hundreds of pounds heavier than the early ones, so that's another couple of pax left behind on long hauls. Now there there's not much benefit to be had from an S92 compared with the AS332L !

There was no suggestion of "get the EC225 back at any cost", but if a convincing safe interim solution can be found, there will be an ever-increasing demand to regain the marked advantages which it offers.

No doubt the passengers will have to be convinced as never before, but it would be unwise to write off the EC225, especially as there will eventually become available a re-engineered shaft.