PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2013, 17:01
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work in an industry that has evolved, and people still want to become a part of it. I have worked in it for 37 years. I see a part of my role as mentoring, supporting and teaching those people coming into the industry in order that they can take the bits they want to enable them to come the sort of pilots, and indeed people, that they want to be. I take some pride in that, and am not ashamed at all. Likewise, and whatever its faults may be, I also take pride in the job I do and with the employer I work for. Neither they nor I are perfect by a long chalk, but in recognising that fact we still try to be the best we can be. I really do believe that as a company (of which I am one very small cog) we treat people well, and we do endeavour to provide a positive and happy environment for people to work in, but more relevant to this discussion, to develop, grow and prosper in.

Over the best part of the last two decades, I have seen many, many young people come into this industry through this route, and achieve those qualities and fulfilled ambitions. Of those that I have worked with, I cannot once ever say that the way we treated them was a disgrace. It wasn't! Moreover since the vast majority are still working for us, some in quite senior positions, clearly they didn't think so either. Today in a fiercely cut-throat and competitive marketplace, we still pay for type ratings and pay training expenses to our cadets. We do, wherever possible, offer full time contracts after the short 6 month placement periods to our cadets. We don't exploit anybody. Further still, as part of a balanced recruitment programme, we place due weight on ex-cadet pilots from other employers (such as yours,) as a desirable source of our "experienced pilot" intake.

I wouldn't have any problem giving a school presentation on "becoming a pilot" simply because I would give an honest and balanced presentation. Perhaps your personal angst should be focused closer to home, rather than young people or the world in general. Should that focus be successful, there would be even more good opportunities for the best people striving to enter this profession.

So when you say....
I will let the jury decide who's best interest you have at heart.
...Then that is fine by me. I will continue to help people succeed. and encourage them to achieve that success. I will warn people of the pitfalls and the realities. I will continue to highlight the enormous attrition rate that is prevalent in this career path. I am guilty of all those things and will continue to be so. Besides my salary and pension I don't have any other source of income, so that won't really be for your "jury" to decide.