PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbird's thrust question
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2013, 16:11
gums

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
bypass

This is prolly the best technical thread I have seen here, with the current 787 battery discussion coming in very close.

Would be nice to have Doc Abernathy involved so we could ask questions that he would be most qualified to answer, ya think?

One thing lingers in my rapidly-decreasing mental ability ( had to be all those gees I pulled that moved cells down south in my body, but I digress....)

Our TF30/TF41 and F100 motors had the fan bleed at the 3rd stage/disk. The TF30 and Allison TF41 had very high bypass ratios, but the F100 was down to about 36%.

So I would question the Doc about not going with a design like the F100 - an annular bypass for the air to both help cooling, help the process back in the 'burner section, etc. and account for the inlet flow phenomena. Apparently, he discarded that design due to weight or something.

All I know from actually flying those motors was the burner in that F100 was a lot more efficient than the J57's I flew in the late 60's. Actual increase in thrust had slightly better ratio, but the early non-fan motors used a lot more JP4 to get there.

Maybe we can the good Doc to come online here for us to share all the war stories and technical stuff, huh?