PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Directors - a sometimes fatal attraction
Old 12th Feb 2013, 08:37
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Years ago, nice severe clear days, only a/c in the sky, lovely quiet Canary islands airport, visual circuit to an ILS, long runway, perfect for the practice: once I'd convinced the apprentice that a programmed LNAV circuit was not necessary, but rather use Mk.1 eyeball, there was the question of "how will I know when to turn in?" "suck it and see, same as a cherokee." Nicely on profile on base leg and on speed I informed the apprentice that the ILS had failed and it would be a pilot guided/controlled final approach. As the FD's were not locked onto anything they should be switched off. Shock horror. Some enjoyed it, others made complaints to CP. I was told not to do training on line flights without a full briefing.
Those who shouted 'shock horror' were the same ones who always chose the bumpy weather arrivals because it would be 'sportive'. They were also the ones who flew their sportive approach to 300' on autopilot and then disconnected to 'save the day' at the last minute. The culture of the pilot corps will be created from the top. Sadly there are some questionable influences at the top.