PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheffield City Airport Petition
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2013, 20:36
Norman Normal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winniebago -

Bombardier quoted me RTOW 27,541kg, ISA, zero wind. They assume 5% contingency on trip fuel, 100nm alternate and 30min at 1500' at the alternate. ISA en-route, 85% annual winds. With DOW 18,000 and 78 pax, they say the aircraft will do 226nm. BUT, they assume 97kg per pax. In my experience, this is unusual - especially on shorter, business-type sectors. My experience suggests average pax weight will be 90kg max, and more likely less. So immediately the aircraft is going to be at least 500kg below RTOW.

Landing weight? Well, I can't say what the planning/in-flight rules are on the Q400, but I'd be surprised if they differ from the rules on the type with which I am familiar. Maybe you know different?

Not sure which 300-400nm destinations you have in mind? Once you get beyond AMS/BRU/CDG/BHD/DUB/JER and the other close ones, I feel the commercial case may become more 'marginal'. Are you thinking FRA etc?

Regarding the bizjets, you didn't comment on the Hawker or the Lear. And are you saying the newer Falcons and Gulfstreams have inferior performance??

None of these will support SZD on their own. But regional airlines, plus bizjets, plus GA, plus training, plus maintenance... that's different.

ILS32 -

SZD was never about bucket-and-spade. DSA can continue doing that - nobody's calling for DSA to close. But unfortunately for Sheffield's businesses, it's clear that the airlines don't see DSA as a business airport.

Last edited by Norman Normal; 11th Feb 2013 at 20:38. Reason: messed up attempt to underline first time around