PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion: thread Mk 2
View Single Post
Old 11th Feb 2013, 11:45
tigerfish

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But are you just laying back & letting it happen?

When my local unit was threatened I wrote to the local media & got several half pages of stories demanding that the unit be saved and it was! Local MP's were badgered the PA written to. No stone was left unturned.

Its survival of the fittest. If you are strong enough and can make enough noise the public will pitch in. Whatever the state of general Police/public relations Air support is appreciated by the public because it has proved to be so effective.

Yes wagging finger there were a very small number of units that did not present well, but they were hugely outnumbered by the efficient ones who did.

I think part of the problem is this:- Here in the UK we stick to the traditional ways of doing things until the problem becomes really serious. Then we do something about it. If the problem then reduces we blindly revert to the old ways again, hoping that the criminal won't notice.

The only trouble with doing that with air support is that you cannot just throw a switch and get it back. Even if an airframe was available it takes a long time to get the crews back to a level of efficiency. The kit is a bit complicated and advanced nowadays.

Yes I'm too old and over the hill today. but I can still tell when we have not got it right. And this is a game where not having it right can cost a hell of a lot!

Finally & just to clarify, I was not having a go about the leadership exhibited at unit level. No my ire is aimed higher than that, at my old level. It is they who should be fighting these attacks on the service. And it goes wider than just Air support.

Tigerfish