PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine offs to the ground
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2003, 18:19
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe a successful landing (one where the crew walk away) is the aim of the game. A professional helicopter pilot includes (as a priority) EOL's and TR problems in their inventory.
If a pilot can prove to themselves that they can survive an EOL/TR control malfunction, then they can get on with the task in hand much more confidently.
The trouble is...forced landings, not under power, are exceedingly difficult to perform successfully. there are so many variables:
wind direction
height
speed
type of landing surface
reaction time
Nr control
Day/Night
Adrenaline flow
I was trying to recall how many EOL's I've done. Probably well in excess of a 1000 (on singles). Unfortunately, less than 5% were unannounced! So it doesn't really provide you with an ideal perspective in doing one in anger. I found that EOL's were a culmination of honing helicopter skills to as close to perfection as you can get. There is NO room for error once it goes quiet!
Flying an unstable glider to a full stop is probably the most exhilarating experience one can ever go through in helo flying.

That was 8 years ago, and now I can't even spell ELO(I fly twins). I feel there is a gap in my inventory now, one that is forever bugging me. However I still think about my parameters whilst flying and wonder whether I could make that field down there, safely. It's not a comfortable feeling. I know people say the chance of an EOL in a twin is millions to one, but people also say, you're only as good as your last accident!!!
Perhaps, really, I miss that thrill as the cab hits the deck in a straight line, no drift, no excess speed, level...as you lower the lever and she comes to a halt with decaying Nr and you exhale deeply with a huge smile on your face
My advice to ALL single drivers, is: make sure your EOL skills are near the top of your inventory or you might not live to regret it
Besides, it's what flying is all about......................

[Fanstops also result from: contaminated fuel / blocked fuel filter(s) / disconnected air bleeds to metering valves / icing / heavy rain / fires / leaking oil pipes...to name but a few].