PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Aircrew Process & Questions
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2013, 20:48
HongKongCargoPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FAA Aircrew Process & Questions

Done some pretty thorough (but not thorough enough) research into the process of becoming either an observer or pilot in the RN. I am yet to head down to my local AFCO to get the lowdown, but I still can't seem to get clear on some things so I thought I'd create a post of my own:
- Seeing as tests such as the aptitude testing and so on are done at RAF Cranwell, does this mean the medical checks and requirements are the same in the RN as they are for the RAF? I've seen a couple of topics regarding eyesight but none seem to reach a conclusion (eyesight being my main concern), although my eyesight is very clear, I do currently wear glasses, so if anyone knows for sure what the situation is then I can be sure to run that by my optician.

How vicious is competition for pilot/observer jobs? I've been told that all military flying jobs are highly competitive, but I'm more concerned about eligible competition (not the people who have heard of the Navy and want to join)

-How else can I improve my chances and making more of an impression? I've had some hours in sims, (Airbus and King Air) and a few flying lessons too, which I'm looking to continue, Bronze D of E, work experience and voluntary work, plus I'm in the process of applying to a gliding scholarship run by the FAAOA. Is it really worth joining the cadets?

Like I said, I do need to get down to my AFCO, but I can't get the time free until half term, so I'm making do for the moment!

Cheers guys