PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a professional pilot, and finding a job
Old 8th Feb 2003, 17:12
Ready2Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your comments so far and please keep them coming:

@kissmysquirrel
Well, it seems europe is still holding a record in costs but i guess the UK is even more expensive on a per hour basis. In germany (still pre JAR-FCL) you need 45 hours, maybe 40 hours if you finish within 5 months. I am fine with an 500 hours instructor because i am sure he can bring us down more safe than i could on my own when flying with him.

@b Sousa
I have the same opinion concerning "blowin smoke". And to make this clear: I won't have to pay 25k in advance. At the beginning EUR 1200 for books and all training material including the paperwork the school does for me for the LBA (probably the FAA in germany). Then i have to put ~ EUR 3000 - 5000 into an account of the company and fly (one hour R22 is ~ EUR 300, one hour R44 ~ EUR 500 and my contract would be 30 hours R22, ten on R44 - that is for the minimum of 40 hours only, i bet i need more). When that amount is gone, you transfer the next part and so on. I will take a look at the website.

@pa 42
I know what else to buy for 25k but nothing, that "attracts" me in the same way (right now). Concerning getting addicted, well, too late. I should not have done the introduction lesson ;-) And for the money, look at my comments to b Sousa. And you are right: You have to concentrate on that ONE thing, otherwise it is a waste of time (well, ok) and money (ouch). The thing is, when i start with something i want to do it 110% or i would not want to start.

To all of you: I will definately try to do it in the shortest possible time. I think i would want to start with 5 hours of flying a day but that might be contraproductive because you get exhausted quite soon as a beginner i guess. Maybe i take a week off when i begin to do groundschool and flying at the same time (school in the morning and maybe 1-2 hours of flying in the afternoon). I should have at least 2 hours of flying a week. This was why i did not start in autumn last year, it gets dark too early to be able to fly in the early evening and i can not go on holidays for 6 weeks. Furthermore you have to get too many things in your head (theory but also flying): I do not want to waste time but on the other hand i do not want to rush.

I am asking myself how long it will take for me to be able to do a stable hover. Heard about these 5-7 hour 'rule' that it takes 'on average' for someone. And eventhough i do not have any comparison, my impression of the R22 is (what i read as well) that it is quite 'responsive' to any movements on the stick, even the vibration of the engine (which you feel in your hand) has to be compensated.