PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do we recognise promotion in the RAF?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2013, 11:44
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was surprised when I was awarded my 15 yrs undetected crime medal in that my section actually put on a sherry reception for me and the wife and I was awarded the medal by my boss, best blues and all that. It was very touching actually, mind you my boss at the time was probably the best officer I ever worked for. Needless to say, he didn't go far.

On my return from det in Belize I had the usual 7 days off and at about day four there was a knock at the door. It was my Sengo's wife come to tell my wife that I would be home next week.....I rang Sengo to ask if that meant I was having another two weeks off then...

On leaving the mob after 22 years my boss at the time, another decent stick, told me that I would be having a leaving interview with OC Eng as he was interested in 'no holds barred' discussions with NCO engs leaving the service.
'Nah he'll not bother' I said. He didn't.

I often wondered what it would be like wandering around with the blue card on my last day. Truth is I felt nothing at all. I finished up with my clerk at Gen Office, handed in my blue card, said 'Is that it then?', he said 'Yep' and carried on doing whatever he was doing. Drove out the gate and carried on with the rest of my life.

I too have had the Seaworld experience and my wife had to nudge me to stand up after whispering 'You're an ally'.The American guy next to me shook my hand and told me he was proud to meet me. I told him it was the most recognition I'd ever had. I didn't feel bitter about it, I suppose being British we just don't expect anyone to appreciate what we did.