PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Colour Codes
Thread: Colour Codes
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2013, 10:58
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
No snags, Courtney me old!

Incidentally, another gotcha of the colour code system is that it in the UK and a few other nations it refers to the base of cloud with 3/8 or more cover, whereas pretty well everyone else uses a 'ceiling' of 5/8 or more...... This can sucker you, as I once found out in my brief F-4 time when leading a pair back visually to WTM. There'd been a little low cloud on departure, but not a lot and we were thus YLO. On recovery, the cloud was considerably more developed and schneebling to avoid the Mendelsham mast wasn't much fun, neither was groping around the circuit after the break.... In retrospect a pairs GCA would probably have saved time, but hey, weren't we supposed to be punchy fighter drivers.....

Single seat drivers rarely have the option of listening out for ATIS and asking for the full weather on RTB made one sound like a trucky. But why the UK aerodrome colour state system sticks with 3/8 or more seems strange - it seems tantamount to crying 'Wolf' when conditions aren't actually as bad as they sound...