PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United Kingdom Military RT Phraseology
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2013, 10:30
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on a Military airfield (or major Civil airport) nor does the aircraft taxy using Tower frequency, but Ground frequency,
I fly from a major mil airfield and it doesn't have a ground frequency. I will add the caveat though that we operate on VHF while the blue jobs are on UHF (although some days inexplicably on VHF as well...not figured that one out yet..) so there may well be a UHF ground controller for them.

As for mil ATC the one's at my place are always good to us although it can get a bit knickers in twistish if there are several a/c in cct. I believe that it's one of those units that baby ATC peeps are sent to finish their training; but it's just like driving behind a learner driver, you either get uptight and impatient or cut them a bit of slack.

I might add as well that unfortunately you get just a handful of mil pilots who think that apart from commercial traffic everything else in the sky should make way for them and everyone who flies for pleasure is somehow not professional in their appoach to flying. Yes there are nunmpties at the controls of any a/c mil or civ but I think you'll find that the vast majority of private pilots take great pride in flying just as professionally as their mil counterparts. In fact many of the pilots at my club are mil pilots and aircrew.

Last edited by thing; 10th Feb 2013 at 10:33.