PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest VHF com piss-offs!
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2013, 10:22
Thridle Op Des

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From 0530-1300‡ and from 1400-2100‡, call for ATC CLR possible up to 15min before fully ready. ACFT
calling have to use following phraseology:
- "DELIVERY, (Call-sign), (Stand), (Type), (QNH), (received ATIS INFO), REQ CLR only."
Becoming fully ready to start, use following phraseology:
- "(Call-sign), fully ready."

Lifted straight from the charts - don't blame us!

Without wishing to get argumentative (I know - it will look like I am!) part of the issue is we have to cross 36 FIRs from OMDB to KJFK, each ATC sector has their own way of doing things, from an ATC perspective, it could be argued that things are a little more parochial, so you know 'your stuff' (MATS - whatever) and maybe some of the 'stuff' in the adjoining FIRs because you talk to them every day. We get classic comments like "don't you have our AIP in your flight deck" when querying a FL250 descent restriction with 60 miles beyond the restriction to the threshold of the active runway; "Er, no". Sorry if we are aggronoying pilots but sometimes we try not to be idiots but we're not too sure what is the latest form of perceived idiocy.

I was mortified the other day for example: having operated 3 sectors a day into LHR with bmi, I hadn't been to LHR with our lot in the last 6 years. I did my reading and checked the notams but then when asked to call Heathrow Director and falling back into the old ways of "callsign only to director" failed to realise that there are now TWO directors and the first one wanted the Type, level passing, level cleared, ATIS. I missed it so the very patient gent on the other end (thanks - if you are reading this) asked me for the details