PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Full sidetick 320 in gusts
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2013, 07:13
Uplinker

Received 155 Likes on 92 Posts
Stilton; no, the sidesticks do not move together.

At the risk of thread creep; I personally think that is a design flaw and I think they should move together. If the other pilot has his/her tray table out, you cannot see their sidestick, or what inputs they are making.

Neither does the aircraft autopilot or A/THR backdrive the sidesticks or the thrust levers. I personally am not bothered about the static thrust levers, because my normal flying scan includes the engine instruments. I have been flying the Airbus FBW for many years now, and so I am not bothered about not seeing the other pilots sidestick inputs, because I know how the aircaft is going to react and I can tell if the other pilot is doing something wrong. However, if I was a training Captain or a brand new trainee then I am sure that I would prefer to see the opposite sidestick inputs, or feel them copied on my side. And when I was a trainee, I think I would have got the hang of flying the Airbus FBW much quicker if I could have "followed through" on the controls.

Micro; Yes I am, thanks. The problem here, as I have said, is with terminology. My previous answers are not necessarily accurate in terms of exactly which black box is doing what, or what you want to call it, but are trying to convey what flying the FBW is like for those who have not experienced it or are trying to learn.

NO: the Airbus FBW will NOT hold the exact attitude you left it at, but it will TRY. NO; it will not hold an ILS unless the autopilot is flying it - but I never said it would.

Last edited by Uplinker; 10th Feb 2013 at 07:25.