PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bungee camera mounts
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2013, 01:20
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
MJB,

ISTR that the drowning was a Bell 47 crash into shallow water when filming near Cairns? This was the catalyst for the current CASA Regs relating to crew restraints in aircraft and also the associated approvals for their use. Operators approved for the use of cameraman's harness are required to comply with a raft of things such as the aircraft harness only during take off and landing, only one restraint to be used at a time (not both together), camera to be restrained/secured, webbing knife in a quick release pouch, harness quick release standards, adjustment of harness so the crew can't fall out, etc etc. This covers winchman, hoist operator, and all other rear crew involved in aerial work door open operations.

If the operation is such that the cameraman/photographer is restrained solely by the aircraft harness then due care should be taken to ensure the security of the harness: I have used paper tape as it can easily be torn if the harness release is needed in a hurry, the use of gaffer tape will usually ensure the harness needs a knife to cut the tape: not a Good Idea in an emergency!

I can't recall how long ago I rigged a bungee cord for a camera but it was done using only two cords going to the top corners of the door. Not sure it would be needed these days with all the options such as monopod gyro mounts, etc, that are readily available. Everything is a snagging hazard and loose articles within the aircraft will always be a possibility: management of that is part and parcel of a pilot's job