PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United Kingdom Military RT Phraseology
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2013, 19:05
Easy Street

Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts
A and C
Xxxx tower xxxxx taxing to hold short runway xx
Like you and MG I used to try to be 'helpful' on check in with an ATC agency. The particular instance I think of is passing my QFE setting on handover to talkdown - it used to be common practice across the board. However ATC had their phraseology tightened up a few years back in response to some of the issues touched on earlier, and started passing the information again even if correctly stated by the pilot. Ours is not to question why - ours is to stick with the published phraseology and not to add extra stuff that we think might be useful. (Incidentally, the reason why ATC are supposed to tell you things like the QFE, rather than vice-versa, is this: if the controller passes information, the pilot mis-hears it, and reads back the wrong info, it needs to be mis-heard twice for the error to pass. If the pilot has the wrong information and gives it to the controller, it only needs to be mis-heard once and you have a problem).

As to the question of telling ATC what you are doing on check-in to a new freq: I think this is something that many pilots bring with them from previous experience at uncontrolled aerodromes, where you tell all and sundry what you're up to. At all controlled airfields the assumption is that ATC tell you what to do and everyone else assumes you will comply. That is the basis on which procedures in CAS are founded, and on which the standard phraseology is written, and if you try to reverse it, you end up confusing everyone. For the ultimate demonstration of this idea, try operating into an airfield controlled by Americans - at really busy ones, you're not even expected to check in on new freqs, you just change frequency when directed, press on with whatever clearance you last received, and listen out for the first instruction to come your way!

Last edited by Easy Street; 9th Feb 2013 at 19:29.