PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do we recognise promotion in the RAF?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2013, 17:08
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Americans seem to be much better at promotion ceremonies,and leaving the service type ceremonies. I can remember being stiffed by my bosses for promos and medals ceremonies far, far more times than getting say, a pat on the back.
It's a shame really, I think recognition goes a long way.Especially if you are far down the food chain, which I was for the great majority of my career in the RN.
One chap on here says he got his medals from a rather indifferent clerk, and that sounds very familiar.
I had seven medals in all (I think I am still owed one but I cant even be bothered to pursue it anymore - thats in a drawer somewhere, no doubt) and only ever received one properly.
That one medal I received properly in a way one would expect was from the CO of 800 NAS. The whole squadron was fell in properly in the South Dispersal Hangar, in our Number 1's, we were all marched up, one at a time and given the gong, plus a handshake and photo with the CO. Then fell out, downtown VL for beer. Simple but effective.
Thats the way to do it. The only time mind.
People remember things like that.It should be standard for op medals, but sadly isnt.