PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some people finally understand the reality behind drone strikes
Old 9th Feb 2013, 13:19
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
You did not read my comments very closely then.

My complete rejection of the policy is based upon Constitutional issues....not politics.

I am clearly supportive of bringing Terrorists to Justice or bringing Justice to the Terrorists. I am quite clear on that in my posts.

As I have said....I have no problem whacking Bad Guys....I have done that.

But...I also insist it be done legally. Key word "Legally".

US Citizens anywhere in the World and anyone citizen or not, within the borders of the USA are protected by the Fifth Amendment that demands "Due Process"....meaning a Judicial Proceeding before the Government can deprive one of property, freedom, and life.

There is no Left or Right when it comes to that.

When you add the Secrecy that the Obama Administration has applied to this Drone Program and the Killing of US Citizens....and in effect making Obama (or any President) the Accuser, Prosecutor, Judge, Jury, and Executioner and all done in Secret even including the Office of Legal Counsel Legal Justification....why am I wrong to challenge this?

Do you trust your government to that degree?

Should I trust mine?

Should I just ignore the Constitution as it appears Obama is doing?

If you answer yes to any of those last four questions....I would have to question your ability to reason effectively.

I am a Conservative....actually more a Libertarian under our political definitions and have a background in law enforcement in both the City and Federal Levels.

During my Federal Service with the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS), an agency that can be described as being the Navy's FBI, I was shocked to listen to stories the older Agents told of doing Bag Jobs on homes during the Vietnam War era and shortly afterwards.

By Bag Job, I mean what they called "warrantless covert entries into people's homes to search for incriminating information". The excuse was "National Security" which did allow for that. This was during the time when Homosexuality was a mortal sin in the Military and if found out....the Person would be tried in a Courts-martial and be discharged at the minimum if not imprisoned if found to have been engaged in actual sexual activity. Mind you....there was no requirement for the individual to hold a Security Clearance of any kind, they did not have to have access to Classified Material, or in any way be suspected of anything but being Homosexual.

When I took issue with the old guys, reminding them about the Fourth Amendment Protections re Unlawful Search and the Right to Privacy, they scoffed. As a City Police Officer, we were schooled very well about the laws on Search and Seizure and in no way what the Federal Government was doing in that regard as described by the very guys doing those searches, remotely respect those Rights.

Congress very harshly stepped down on the Federal Government and Federal Intelligence Agencies for those kinds of Abuses.

If our Society is to survive....we have to resist any encroachment upon our Constitutional freedoms and I see this latest Obama action as something that cannot be allowed to happen.

Already, the Congress is talking about the equivalent of a FISA Court which is in use for National Security Wire Tapping and Intercepts. It is not just me that is against what is going on.

We are seeing a despotic regime trying to take hold here....one that rejects the Constitution as evidenced by repeated breaches of Federal Laws that they are sworn to uphold and enforce. The Federal Courts have slammed Obama over his appointments to the NLRB in what was a gross act of misconduct by him.

The Drone Program is just one of many problems the Obama Administration have brought upon themselves. If you may recall, Obama was very much against anything Bush did after 9-11. He was all incensed about Water Boarding and called it Torture.....yet here we have the same guy issuing orders to KILL the same kinds of People that he objected to being Water Boarded plus they are American Citizens that are afforded Constitutional Protections against exactly what he is doing.

Don't you find it a bit odd that he does this?

As to being silent when your side is in office....how about the Democrats, Liberals, Progressives, and the fecking Media in my country....where the hell are they? Remember how they raised hell over AbuGrahib, Gitmo, Water Boarding? You heard anything out them on Obama ordering Killings?

Don't accuse me of being hypocritical on this issue as that just isn't true.

Last edited by SASless; 9th Feb 2013 at 13:21.