PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Grounds 787s
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2013, 05:48
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eengr - as I mentioned in a previous post, some large aerospace companies have replaced expertise with process, so the grey-beard who ran the department, was fanatical about every detail of "his" electrical systems, and had enough clout to insist to Project that they consider the AC aspects is long gone.

And (sadly imo) "his" has become "the team's". Back in the day, we emphasized individual responsibility, tossing "a camel is a horse designed by a committee" at those who needed a poke.

I have no idea if Boeing Commercial is particularly far along that path
I believe you will find that most aerospace companies have backed themselves up with "Fellows" whose job it is to lead the technical expertise at an industry wide level and at the same time ensure that internal processes supporting the design and manufacture are world class .

I espect that Boeing's technical Fellows are playing a significant part in reviewing what processes contributed to this. I also expect that any non-propietary weaknesses in this regard will be shared among all the appropriate industry wide technical fellows.

On a similar vein the FAA also has a much smaller cadre of identified technical expertise and leadership.

The crunch in all this is that in problems like the current one, this level of review doesn't get done until there is a fire to put out.