PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Becoming a professional pilot, and finding a job
Old 8th Feb 2003, 11:00
Ready2Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on how to start....

Hi,

i want to ask for your advice on some issues when starting a PPL(H) and beware, i am a real beginner:

I was always interested in helicopters (otherwise i would not be here) but i did not go for it as a profession. Meanwhile i have a well paid profession not within aviation and i am in a position to pay for taking lessons towards a PPL(H). I am in germany so maybe things differ but i think some things are the same all over the world.

Last August i had the chance of taking an introdution lesson and this was maybe the biggest 'mistake' because afterwards i was not just interested in helicopters anymore but i knew i had to get a licence. The company i flew with is not just a flying school but does several other tasks in aviation including maintenance. It was a sunny day and after 30 minutes of briefing we went out to the helicopter (R22) and 5 minutes later we were airborn. We got to the grass runway to hover and i was told by the instructor first to take care of the pedals then cyclic and last but not least the stick as well. I have never been flying a helicopter before and it was kind of 'frightening' because the helicopter was flying with me and not i with the helicopter (ok, what do you expect after 10 minutes). But nevertheless it got better. The instructor told me he was 'impressed' with what i achieved after about 20 minutes. I would have crashed the helicopter when being alone in - no question - but he said, others would need 5 to 7 hours for what i did after 30 minutes and i was up to the top 5 students he had. Then we did some circuits where he demonstrated two autos (i had control in the circuits as well) and short before the end he told me, it was a waste of talent if i did not start to take lessons and get a licence.

Now, i am not 18 anymore, so, eventhough i was flattered at first i kindly felt kind of - hmmm - let's say a bad smell some days after because it came to my mind, that he was maybe just more interested in getting a new contract signed for the company.

Nevertheless, i collected all the necessary documents including medical (german class I and III) and i am waiting for spring to start. I have not had a look for other schools because - like i said - i got a good impression of the company, nice environment and helpful, friendly and supportive staff always open to answer questions. And furthermore, there are not that many schools around in germany (compared to the US for example).

My question is: What would you consider (in terms of the school) before signing a contract that moves about 25k dollars out of your pocket (PPL(H) with ratings on R22 and R44)?

The instructor i have been flying with was about 8 years younger then myself and had about 500 hours at that point of time. Maybe i am wrongly thinking about his interest and i am really 'talented' and it was really just is opinion.

The company is in business for about 16 years and my guess is, that the flying school (R22 and R44) takes only 20%-30% of their tasks. They are also operating turbines like A109C, B206, BO105, EC120B, AS350B2 and AS355N.

Sorry for this rather long post and i hope you have some opinions to share.

Best regards