PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do we recognise promotion in the RAF?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2013, 21:03
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember returning from GW1 about three months after the rest of the Herkdet ' officially ' were welcomed home. This due to the fact that 3 aircraft and crews were sent off to Bahrain to maintain the round robin re supply. I'm sure there were still army, navy and fast jet people in theatre. Having returned at around 2200Z on the Tuesday I was telephoned at home ( on the patch) at 0830 on the next day by a WRAF Flight Lt from SHQ. Who said that if I didn't come and sign for these medals, they would be returned. I went in and duly signed for the two foreign Medals and the GW1 GSM jobby. I was duly lectured about what I could and could not wear. To be honest I got the impression that the young lady was annoyed that her draw space was being wasted by trash. After that I can say I lost respect for any and all medals, and also for any administrators who try to suggest that they even understand what their colleagues get such 'trinkets' for. I hope that my son will at least understand that I earned the blobs of metal I will leave him.

Smudge