PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do we recognise promotion in the RAF?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2013, 20:21
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Having done a few of the American promotion ceremonies, they have grown on me over the years as I see just how indifferent we are in recognising individual's success. Consequently, at my current unit, I rather like the way for each and every promotion board, regardless of service or rank, the CO gets the HQ staff plus the promoted individual, their other half and their boss up to the HQ and we toast their success with a glass of port or champagne and a few words of congratulations. It's the first time I have seen it done in the UK military, but it is definitely the right thing to do.

In direct contrast, and as an example of how bad we are as an institution at recognising success through promotion:

Plt Off - Fg Off: I was entitled to accelerated promotion owing to joining up with a postgrad MSc. Manning & Cranwell both knew about it, but I only got the extra seniority having been made to apply for it and wait for a letter to land in the Flt pidgeon hole half way through IOT.

Fg Off - Flt Lt: Informed I had been promoted early after several months of uncertainty over admin issues. Only found out when I rank Handbrake House on a separate issue only to be asked by the SAC on the end of the phone "did you say Fg Off sir? So nobody has told you you promoted early 4 days ago?"

Flt Lt - Sqn Ldr: board sits, results sent out to the lucky few. I heard nothing all day the day the results were announced despite having been told substantiation in rank was a cert. Had to email the Deskie to confirm that I had actually substantiated only to get a quick phone call at close to 1800 saying oh sorry has nobody told you?

Sob stories aside - the increased tax on promotion meant I could only afford smoked salmon three times as week - I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced the abortion that is the RAF and promotions. All I can say is thank God we no longer do the whole investors in people thing; most organisations try not to publicize their lies so openly as putting a plaque up on the wall!

Last edited by Melchett01; 8th Feb 2013 at 20:24.