PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United Kingdom Military RT Phraseology
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2013, 18:22
Figure Of Merit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
United Kingdom Military RT Phraseology

I flew into a large UK military airfield yesterday. Until now my only experience of Military RT has been VFR transits of MATZ and LARS services.

Having flown IFR only in the civil environment, I was rather bemused by the volume of RT provided to me as I flew the ILS, much of it duplication of my own cockpit checklist items. Most of the calls seemed to require only acknowledgement or confirmation (eg "check gear", "check DH", "approaching/passing DH", "you're over the threshold"). I particularly liked the phrase "you are expected to land off this approach" which I thought put remarkable faith in my ability not to stuff it up and have to go missed.

I was handled by the approach controller all the way. In fact it took a transmission from me along the lines of "G-XXXX..I've landed..." to get a handover to the Tower.

I post this not to complain, but just to get some clarification on what the controller might have expected to hear in response to his calls. Googling around (and searching on here) got me to the Manual of Military Air Traffic Management, but that didn't really go into detail on the RT (indeed it referred me back to the CAP 413 in which none of this is mentioned).

So- does anyone know if there's a civvy's guide to RT phraseology at Military ADs. If you are a military pilot, you're probably used to non-miltary pilots' RT. It would be nice to know what replies were expected; when in Rome etc.

Thanks