PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Boats to East Africa
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2013, 15:45
603DX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well cyflyer, I have now just finished watching your second documentary, "The Last African Flying Boat", and found it absolutely magical! Linking the bold exploratory Catalina journey to the old 1930's Empire flying boat routes was an inspired decision, and beautifully filmed by the BBC in about 1990 I believe, the date given in the end titles.

I was enthralled by the almost "Cook's Tour" of wondrous places visited on the epic journey by the elderly flying boat, as I have been to many of them myself, either on holidays or in the course of my work as an engineer in Africa. The scenes at Cairo, flying over the pyramids, up the Nile, over Karnak temple, to Aswan and the Old Cataract Hotel (where I took "tiffin" with my wife) were gratifyingly familiar. I worked for a time at Kisumu on Lake Victoria, and lunched on the veranda of the Lake Naivasha Hotel, on fresh fish caught in the lake. Nairobi, too, was another place where I spent quite a lot of time.

Glad to hear that you have more in the pipeline, and I await "Edward's Flying Boat" eagerly! Again, many thanks.