PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do we recognise promotion in the RAF?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2013, 14:54
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Do we recognise promotion in the RAF?

I've just returned (suitably imbibed) for a re-enlistment and promotion ceremony hosting by American colleagues. I used to be rather sniffy of these corny ceremonies but this one,like others I have attended recently, have changed my mind.

The re-enlistment ceremony was for a USN PO who had agreed to sign on for another 6 years. He swore allegiance to the senior officer present (a US Army Colonel) after some good-natured ribbing and praise to his wife and kids, who have followed him around the world. The second was a pinning-up ceremony for a USAF Major promoted to Lt Col. Again, a nice speech by the Col followed by-a presentation to his wife and kids (the latter beamed as they were promoted with the insignia before their dad) then the pinning up on the Lt Col, again with some really nice words of appreciation. I've also see a few medal ceremonies over the last couple of years - invited by US colleagues - and I have felt humbled to both be invited and to share in what is a big moment for the SP and the family.

In all my years, I have never attended any similar ceremony in the RAF; indeed, the only congrats I received was when I got to Wg Cdr and Stn Cdr Uxbridge (sigh!) sent me a nice note as I was part of his flock in MB. Similarly, apart from being given the latest jubilee medal by a visiting Maj Gen who was asked to bring the medals across, They've either arrived in The post or have been signed for in Gen Office. (Clearly, all round medals, of course!).

Although I'm still serving, I've not been with the mainstream RAF for a few years, but I suspect that little has changed. What do other pruners think? Should we make more of these events, or shall British stoicism reign?