PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA flight training 1960s question..
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2013, 08:19
Lordflasheart

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
A few notes to the aforegoing.

There was no routine facility for real deck landing prior to your "front-line" type or squadron - unlike the USN where I think CARQUAL may still be a part of advanced flying training.

Occasional demo approaches to wave-off were conducted in the 2 seat Hunter as Schiller says, but the Hunter's hook was solely for emergency use ashore, to prevent over-runs, by engaging the chain or spray arrester wires at the end of the R/W, in the same manner as the Air Force emergency barrier (when raised) but less damaging. IIRC the Hunter speed limit for wire engagement was about 75 kts – but you had to remember to drop the hook before going off the end.

For MADDLS – you may have had a QFI or other critical eye standing by the Mirror, but never an LSO in the sense that I think CTP implied.

Before you were officially "Qualified to Deck Land" or "Qualified to Night Deck Land" iaw APN 76 it was unlikely you would be offered a pitching deck. Certainly not if the ship was operating with "No diversion" and you were not yet "qualified."

I believe BRNC took their Tiger Moths to a passing Carrier (the Ark ??) for lunch one quiet summer in the 60s. Probably one of Lin Middleton's wheezes, and the ship probably had to go astern to get the wind under control. LFH