PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do after the RAF
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2013, 18:55
Kam32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do after the RAF

I am currently a Commissioned Officer in the RAF with 6 years left to serve. For the past 10 years I have been involved with the controlling of aircraft during training missions and Air Policing. It is similar to the work conducted by an Air Traffic Controller but with a tactical twist. I have spent a lot of my time as a controller, governed by the CAA rules and regulations of the air, a supervisor of controllers and instructor. I have also been heavily involved in the safety aspect of flight, including human factors, and I have operated as a Unit’s Safety Management Officer. This involved liaising with civilian and military Air Traffic agencies whenever an incident occurred to ensure that appropriate actions were taken, as well as developing preventative measures. During my career I have worked as a Project Leader, looking at short and long term deployment planning, as well as being a manager to 30+ personnel.

When I leave the RAF I am keen to remain in the aviation industry, but I’m not sure where my skills would be most suited. Although, I would be keen to work in the operations department for an airline or airport. I also believe that I need to work on gaining civilian qualifications for when I leave to make me more competitive.

If possible, would anyone be able to offer any guidance to suitable roles and any qualifications I could get that would make me more competitive?