PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captains interfering with the FO's flying
Old 8th Feb 2003, 01:06
greybeard

Captains "Interfering" on an F/O's sector????

Apart from the rogue types who occupy BOTH sides of too many cockpits we should take a broader view perhaps.

The operation is prioritised in general as,

SAFETY
PASSENGER COMFORT
SHEDULE
ECONOMY

In my present position few of my F/Os have more than 500 hours and are on wide bodied jets, so there are skill, exposure, cultural, authority gradient situations where CRM skills are needed to ensure the operation is as above and the "knowledge" can be passed on as well.

"Knowing" everything and always "being right" is not the possession of any seat in the cockpit, BUT the bias could/should perhaps be, apart from the rogues, on the side of the Captain.

Walking the ailerons during the T/Off roll and on final with a spoiler deflection in calm conditions cause comments from me, is that interference?
Coarse use of the speed control instead of "profile", busting speed restrictions below 10.000 as it "saves time", is comment interference?
Taking over at the flare when the 2nd "10" has sounded, where does that fit?
Calling up to 100 feet early on altitudes to show how sharp you are, Comment?
Calling "Glide slope" below the minima on a visual approach, comment?

Physical interference is at times not only necessary; it is required from BOTH sides. Should that be an unnecessary occurrence, only the two people there at the time can say, as can the QAR/FDR/CVR if SAFETY was in any way compromised and the appropriate reports made
I was an F/O for 13 years, the game hasn't changed much in this area, the young know it all, get rid of the old farts as they are wrong and in my seat. I am about to give my seat up as I have achieved the "fart" status, so you can have it, look after it and BE SAFE.