PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Amber Air
Thread: Amber Air
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2013, 12:27
Phileas Fogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now you're testing my memory cells ... Amber Air, I think it was to be called Diamond Air or Diamond Airways, was the phoenix that rose from the ashes of Airways International Cymru ... more affectionately known as "Air Crummy", can't recall though if Amber had the same chairman as Air Crummy, and indeed Cardiff City Football Club, who subsequently served a prison sentence for his sins.

If I recall it wasn't the -200 that Amber operated but perhaps a -300 and it was short lived, perhaps just one season, before it was taken over by Paramount Airways of Bristol.

Paramount, like Airtours, started off with MD80 (family) aircraft and signed such a deal with MD that they could only operate MD aircraft so, to get around this, Paramount bought out Amber so they could operate Boeings, or whatever, under the Amber branding whilst Airtours subsequently bought out Inter European to do likewise.

By the time Paramount bought out Amber, and I stand to be corrected on any of this, Paramount were already in financial difficulties themselves, something to do with a director or two having legged it with a bucket load of money, and the Amber/Paramount 737, which was actually owned by Ansett Leasing, ended it's UK registered days operating for Ansett and the Queensland government during the Australian pilot's dispute of 1989/1990.

There ya go