PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Boats to East Africa
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2013, 12:20
603DX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cyflyer, I have just watched 'The Flying Boats' documentary, and found it absolutely fascinating. I was particularly pleased to see so many scenes featuring the flying boats produced by Short Bros, because my uncle was employed by the company during WW2 working on Sunderlands. He managed to arrange a visit for me and my mother to the Rochester works in 1944, when I was an aeroplane-mad 5 year old. I remember being led into an assembly hall where a completed Sunderland was positioned ready for launching through the huge doors down a concrete slipway leading to the River Medway. My uncle's boss took me by the hand and led me across closer to the aircraft, and memorably asked me with a smile, "Would you like me to put a string on the front sonny, so you can take it home with you?" Daft, of course, but I have never forgotten it!

The scene in your Youtube video where several former aircrew visited the preserved example at the Hendon RAF Museum was very evocative, since I have also examined that one, both inside and out. I also went inside the 'Plane Sailing' Catalina when it was open to visits for a small fee, at the Biggin Hill air show 6 or 7 years ago. I recall chatting with the watchful fellow keeping an eye on the cockpit area while I took a few pics, and it transpired that the 'Catalina' was strictly a 'Canso', since it was built in Canada. I will next be watching your second Youtube video, 'The Last African Flying Boat', with keen anticipation.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to transpose these historic aviation records to Youtube, so that many can enjoy the priceless experience.