PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas cancels Adelaide-Singapore flights
Old 7th Feb 2013, 07:59
ramius315

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't see the frazzled parents with the unruly kids enjoying Dubai at all. In particular, it is only a matter of time before a disobedient teenager is caught with marijuana on them or someone takes exception to dress* or behaviour.
What?

What you are really saying in those words Sunfish is "The rest of the world travels through Dubai without issues but Australians won't be able to."

Because Australians are a. stupid, b. ignorant or c. arogant? I guess take your pick. Over 50 million passengers travel through without an issue, but Australians won't be able to.

The funny thing is I agree with you.

Australians have developed an incredibly arrogant attitude that they are above other countries' laws and so I pick the answer to be c. arrogant. You're right, it will only be a matter of time before somebody is picked up for something against UAE laws simply because of the self-righteous attitude that has been developed amongst many Australians.

Rule 101: when travelling overseas know a country's laws and respect them.

It is the same whether travelling through Bangkok or Singapore.

The issue here is the rubbish that is spread through ignorance about what happens in the Middle East. Most of it spread by people who have never been to or resided there, and by sensationalist articles. It is also spread by the fact that Australians have ignorantly rascist views. (For the record, I am Australian, so I can pass that opinion.)

There should be no difference travelling through Dubai than travelling through Singapore or Bangkok.

But an ignorant and incorrect fear of a country that is consistently misrepresented by sensationalist opinions and articles will mean otherwise.

(* I'm curious as to whether you have actually been to Dubai? A passenger transitting through Dubai will not encounter any issue with dress. And neither will a visitor to the majority of areas in Dubai. It is only in certain areas of Dubai that repsectful dress code is an issue - and it is blatantly obvious to anyone that this is the case in those areas.)