PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VMC and bank angle/turns
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2013, 21:57
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile dying engine during a bank?

Would immediate instinct not make you push forward (a bit, enough) whilst applying left rudder and rolling into the live enginey, screw into the dead engine with - rudder and aileron and lower pitch and power (when you are finally leaning towards the live engine)

(lower pitch leads slightly) ie., fly it in (to S&L) albeit momentarily, assuming you are destined to maintain this horrible turn - like a chunk of rock after t/o needs to be got around. My little point here is to regain perf, you can always get back to banking on one engine, with decidedly more welly (perf) notwithstanding the rock. [ and the terrain below]

Scuze, typical baby lingo - but nobody mentioned pitch forward as you all seemed to be very interested in VMC and the like.

The tendency of the X-box to never exceed x amount of bank angle and within 1g and restricted bank angle after EO sometimes, really does drive home the point that this little baby can`t fly as we can, where sometimes tentative bank angles just won`t cook it [put the aircraft where it needs to be - in this case, away from said rock] and a hands on approach must be the most sensible way.

Not advocating overbanking in the slightest - but, I once had a demo once (not in an A320 full of pax) whereby an engine on this aircraft the, Piper Apache, was cut and we proceeded to do advance turns all over the sky - we were about 5 or six pob, two of whom were fatbards The point the instructor was no doubt trying to make is that: most things fly really well even on one engine.

By the way, the aircraft did not falter, shudder, scream the stall warner or anything, it just flew.

My point is obvious: but if not,,,, often a pilot will tread so gingerly as not to make full use of the flying controls in that new terrifying config!! when in fact that is just what is needed, some extra welly on the flying controls.
This also goes for those who complain that they `only just made the takeoff . . ` ` and when asked if they had full elevator, they replied` no`

At slow speeds, greater deflection of the flying control surfaces is what is required. I know you all know this from baby school, and yet, there are many pilots who will simply not apply more than usual flying control when necessary, don`t be shy. You are not flying a performance graph (thank God!) If, if, there would be no response from the max effort you are putting in on the controls, either at all or eventually, then (notwithstanding things you can do with thrust from the engines) you are having a bad day - but until that point, ask of "it" what you want - you are the Driver, the creator of lift and the core reason why the thing is flying in the first place - don`t give up - there is more left in the thing than you are perhaps trained to believe.

and to prove a point; I once flew with a trainee an engine out approach, very nice. coming over the hedge however - floating over the numbers, and heading away from the runway the flying thang had run out of anything close to flying characteristics and well, speed off the clock, the aircraft was re-aligned with the centreline and brought to a neat little touchdown. Why not a go around you ask? Well, at that late stage in the game, a go around would have been a tad interesting.

Last edited by Natstrackalpha; 11th Feb 2013 at 19:59.