PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-400 Ballast Fuel and CG Questions
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2013, 21:31
JammedStab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NSEU
I believe that if the reserve transfer valves open during the flight, this is also a trigger for the electric scavenge pump to operate for 2 hours (or until the scavenge pump runs dry for 5 minutes). In this case, you would probably have to pull a CB. Mind you, my manuals say that the scavenge pump max output is 771Kg/hour, so it would take a while to shift 8 tonnes

Do you ever use ballast fuel AND have fuel in the reserve tanks?

Originally, the hydromechanical scavenge pumps relied on fuel levels in the inboard mains and the CWT (and fuel pressure in the fuel feed manifold). There are float valves stopping these "jet" scavenge pumps from operating until the conditions are right. However, the float valves in the CWT may be wired open (modification), leaving only the wing tank float valves active. These wing float valves operate at 27,270 Kg (inboard main level). Jet pumps scavenge at a rate of 545Kg/hr. I don't know how you would stop the wing-only float valve scavenge system from operating.
Can you explain a bit more. Are you saying that there used to be mechanical scavenge pumps but have been modified to electrical. You also mention jet pumps.

Thanks