PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The future of UK SAR, post SAR-H
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2013, 18:56
pitotprobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jim

I think you've hit the nail on the head in your earlier posts: there are thousands of MRT members, some of which might occasionally see a SAR helicopter. There won't the will or the way to give them all comprehensive training on the new machines.

I'd suggest that the teams which currently work the most frequently with the helos will get some Stage 1 drills early on but the other teams will have to wait. Same goes with the RNLI / MCA / Cliff Rescue guys. I honestly don't think that this is a major issue; famil training will be a nicety not a necessity.

The S92 was introduced to Shannon in June last year and, like any asset, can be called to an incident anywhere in the country. I could be wrong, but I don't think they've managed to exercise with every MRT in their own patch let alone up in Donegal. Not a gold-plated Rolls Royce solution, but, guess what? It's working!

I also don't believe there is big overlap between aircrew training and SAR organisations / emergency services training. Compared with operating the machine, getting to and from the scene / hospital etc, the winching is a very small part of the job. Much the same for the MRT members I'd suggest. That's not to say that the exercises wouldn't be valuable; just not as critical as you seem to think.