PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Toxic Cabin Air/Aerotoxic Syndrome
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2013, 15:35
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do no more than ask a few varied relevant questions for discussion. I also admit to having a cynical regard for various XAA's. They do not bite the hand that feeds them.

In the mid-90's LH & AZ unions had a joint scientific study done on the possible effect of cosmic radiation on frequent flyers. In some extracts of their reports were stories of German scientists taking geiger counters unto FL370 and them going berserk. There was even talk of 'shielding' the B747's but at a prohibitive cost. It seems there were many serious conclusions drawn, but to my knowledge nothing has ever been done other than create a calculation of accumulated cosmic radiation exposure based on rosters. The companies then tell us there is nothing to worry about as we are below limits. I've never heard a counter argument from the scientific community nor the unions. After hearing that NASA scientists conclude that LoCo rosters are not fatiguing I've added them to my list of cynical regards.

Then there were the DVT incidents. Lots of newspaper coverage; a grudging acceptance by XAA's that there was a medical case to answer, but it was only pax who were discussed. They can walk about in the cabin, but pilots locked behind cockpit doors for hours with no room to move were not considered potential victims. FTL's have increased and XAA's and unions have allowed the subject to drift into apathetic history.

The oil fumes in the cabin atmosphere debate has been around for years and has been acknowledged as having a case to answer, but what has been done about it? Not a lot. Consider MSRA in hospitals; it doesn't effect them all nor all the residents therein. At least they acknowledge it publicly and try to do something about it, but the task of elimination is too great, but they try.

Regarding the 3 risks above has there been any real effort to counter them or is it considered too expensive for the level of risk involved? I am certain that whatever decision has been made to address or ignore will have money at the root of it. That and the fact the XAA's are, allegedly, in the pockets of the airlines. There is too much conflict of interest in many of their deliberations. Too much money involved. Flight safety is considered to be only about stopping a/c crashing. That failure or success can be quantified; all the other voodoo mumbo-jumbo can not. There's a very lumpy carpet somewhere.