PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK helicopter schools (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2003, 19:48
virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm! Curiouser and curiouser.

When I saw this topic, like everyone else I assumed Smyers was a would-be PPL making a genuine enquiry, so like quite a few others here I tried to help him.

I was surprised by the contents of a PM I received from him a few days after my post, supposedly coming from someone who knew nothing about the industry, training etc and just wanted help in choosing a training school. I'll copy it in full so people can decide for themselves what to make of it.
"Hi,
Thanks for your responses on the forum about Heli-Jet. I was wondering if you would like to expand on what you know about MT now we're not on the public arena!! Don't worry what you say won't go any further than your reply.
Thanks again
Smyers
Now why would some wannabee PPL looking for a training school want to know what I know about MT (Mike Thorpe - owner of HeliJet)? I've worked in the aviation industry for too long to fall for that so said nothing despite his assurances of confidentiality.

And now, surprise surprise, Smyers says the place he chose for a trial lesson was the only school people warned him to be careful about. And, he says, "all the staff were very helpful and pleasent and the place was buzzing."
All the staff? They've only got one instructor (the CFI), one commercial pilot (StevieTerrier) and one ground handler/refueller!
"The place was buzzing" What a load of bollox. They've only got half a dozen students.
And why would his response to the people who've tried to help him be Curious.

Guys, we've been had!

smyers
The industry in general and people on this forum in particular are always happy to give their time to help beginners. I don't suppose you give a toss but tricks like yours don't exactly encourage people to give their time helping genuine wannabees.