PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2013, 13:03
Pilot852

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mediums - I recommend not doing it in Hong Kong for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, it's very expensive to do it here. You need to pay $30k to join the HK Aero Club and the charges to use their aircraft etc are really high. So it's cheaper to do it elsewhere.

Secondly, in HK there is no cross-country flying so the HK PPL is not really a full PPL, most other countries do not recognize it so it's pretty much useless anywhere else.
Also I think you can only do your flying there at weekends so its gonna take a long time in HK.

I'm doing my PPL next month in New Zealand:
Air Hawke's Bay | Air New Zealand Aviation Institute Flight Training
A friend did his there and highly recommended it. Quite a few people in Hong Kong go there. The course costs about $110k including accommodation- not the cheapest but the accommodation is on the aerodrome which is a big plus.

Another place that came recommended is in South Africa:
Pilot Training Lanseria Flight School and Air Charter South Africa
They quoted $60-$70k for the course but that doesn't include accommodation.

I contacted a few schools in the UK and they also quoted about $60-$70k but the weather in the UK isn't great so it could take a long time to do it there.

There are also plenty of great schools in Australia, New Zealand and the US. Generally the schools in Australia and NZ are a bit more pricey but I hear that it's pretty cheap to do it in the US so it's worth looking into doing it there.

Hope that helps!