PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas cancels Adelaide-Singapore flights
Old 6th Feb 2013, 11:47
Eastwest Loco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aussie

ADL SIN was and is a semi viable route - IF there is the possibility of carrying oncarriage passengers into Europe.

These passengers provide the "base load" at lower overall yield compared for instance to selling the same seat to one dude ADL SIN and another SIN LHR.

Without the base load, the route is going to struggle unless you throw a LCC at it with smaller equipment. The LCCs who work on the pure model of mind over matter (they don't mind, you don't matter) sell all their seats one sector at a time, no oncarriage, no liability as this does generate more revenue per seat on a tight budget.

In the last month I have had representatives of our franchisor on the phone asking "why is your Qantas International revenue down when other airlines are up".

Simple answer is not disinclination to sell the product, not for one second. I want the big rat on the back of my aeroplane when I am going overseas, but I am running out of options.

Now, if you want an Asia stopover on the way to Europe and Oneworld benefits, Malaysia has the ball. Particularly with very cheap connecting flights to LGK, PEN, BKI etc. Then there is CX over HKG within the group. If Oneworld isn't a requisite there is always SQ.

In 5 years I despair to think that mainline QF International will not even be there but it seems to be heading in that direction. Senior management hauling back on logic to keep the bonuses rolling in until they are in a position to slink away and retire with a large slice of Australia's aviation industry stripped for their benefit, much as the fat prick and the news boy did to Ansett andin the end East West with the help of the Bodgie.

I am not nearly clever enough to know the answer and how to stop the rot. If anybody is, please say so - now!

The via Asia to Europe market QF had a good hold on has gone. MH SQ CX and TG as well as others are rubbing their hands toghether, and our booking profiles are showing this. Dubai as a stopover destination (despite the fact it is a great one and good value) is as popular as herpes with about 50% of passengers.

Take MEL DXB. One QF metal flight and the rest (including a few via Asia) are EK metal on codeshare. Four EK flights to one, 2 with stopover options. As a rule, QF will never undercut the aeroplane owners fare on a codeshare despite being repeatedly raped by AA on the Pacific.

If anyone can see a way out of the maze that senior QF people have buried the Airline's future in, please say so.

The flying kangaroo is down to wallaby and on way to quokka.

Not good.

Best all

EWL