PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VMC and bank angle/turns
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2013, 11:14
RichPa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way a pilot adjusts slip in straight flight is by adjusting bank angle while preventing yaw with rudder. The ball will move while doing this. But if you adjust bank for a turn while simultaneously moving the rudder to keep slip constant (so the ball does not move), Vmc won't change much. This means that, for small angles of bank, pilots can turn in either direction without losing control. The important thing is to keep the ball in the correct place!

That is even in turns you have to keep the ball at the same recommended position for zero-slip which is usually 1/2 ball width into the operative engine side, right? But can you do that in a turn towards the dead engine? I figure out you need more rudder to keep it during turn and if you already were close to Vmc you are close to rudder stop, so, is it possible to do these turns without losing control?

Basically what I want to figure out is if I'm flying 5 kts above Vmc and banking (i.e. moderate bank 30 degrees, no need to do aerobatics on one engine ) the airplane to turn either direction, towards dead or live engine, does Vmc stays the same? Am I able to do that without loss of control due to reaching aileron and rudder stops?

P.S. Read that 707 report and it is said somewhere that even if reaching Vmc, there was still some aileron control to return to wings level or 5 deg toward the live engine and so regaining straight flight, however, it was not applied during that incident.

Still doesn't make sense, for example, another thought on the issue: when the engine fails during takeoff, you are WINGS LEVEL and Vmc is calculated for 5 degrees bank toward dead engine. If so, the Vmc value it is useless because you are in the best case wings level, even not thinking about the fact that usually you get a roll towards dead engine when it fails, so you are actually more than wings level, you are in the best case banked a little towards dead engine, so Vmc would be really high in this case, and if Vmc=loss of control at all, i.e. even roll loss of control, if so, every takeoff would be fatal when you lose one engine. So, it can't be as I figure out. It makes me think that you lose just the ability to maintain a straight track, i.e. rwy centerline during takeoff, but not the ability to roll the aircraft.

Last edited by RichPa; 6th Feb 2013 at 11:38.