PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 Batteries and Chargers - Part 1
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2013, 09:11
vince_h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
saptzae / hetfield: Thanks for the warm welcome

I respectfully disagree regarding voltage based charging being a sufficient safeguard. For "old" technology (Pb / NiCad / Ni-Mh) cells, voltage based charging is a somewhat sufficient both as a charge strategy and as a detection method. Li-Ion is a totally different animal.

Have a look at a charge graph for Li-Ion / LiCO2 battery charging. Here is an example:

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

Charge is current limited (constant current) for a good portion of the charging cycle before transitioning to voltage-based charging. This information can be confirmed from various Li-Ion mfg spec sheets.

If a discharged Li-Ion cell is connected to a safe charge voltage (< 4 .2volts) without current limiting, it will overheat and may enter thermal run-away.

So I'll stand by my previous statement that the possibility exists to overcharge parallel cells in a Li-Ion battery without the BMS detecting it.

The only time these batteries should be subject to extreme cold is if the aircraft is parked up, for long periods, with no power....er, during the winter.....oh!
Bugger!
That's what I'm talking about. I distinctly remember watching the A380 documentary and they covered the part where they flew to the arctic and the aircraft has to "overnight" in ~ -40. It then had to start without abnormal assistance.

Just something that caught my eye looking at that datasheet.