PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways 777 diverts to Goose Bay - fumes in flight deck - FO incapacitated
Old 6th Feb 2013, 08:22
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why??

Granted nitpicker, I can flick the mic off when I want to inhale and reselect it active when I wish to speak. Many aircraft, same type, same company, different airframe, have latching mic switches and some which should have them don't. So I'll just try to remember which one it is I'm driving today as the instrument panel and everything else disappear in the choking smoke!

Great!! Is that the best DESIGN the industry can manage to enable those stressed and possibly already intoxicated to try to manage and operate the flight to a successful conclusion?

And if it's so good, why haven't the military, who use masks virtually 100% of the time in their fast pointy things, gone over to the same design??

No. I don't think so. You are accepting another unnecessary psycho-motor response to be deliberately added to the workload at exactly the time when the pilots' medical fitness may already be severely compromised and degraded!

Do our ATC colleagues have any feedback on comms quality during incidents which they have handled?

Maybe pause and think before transmitting a comment like that!?