PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Directors - a sometimes fatal attraction
Old 6th Feb 2013, 02:42
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
As a "light" pilot with a few thousand hours in single-seat jets, I am wondering how the "flight director" displays are supposed to work.

I never flew a jet for a long time that had the same "flight director" stuff that folks in the T-38 had. So I had been trained in the T-33 and such.

Our primitive flight director stuff was a needle on the large ADI and was only for heading/course interception of a radial or the ILS centerline. Crude, back in 60's, but decent. Then to the A-7D and same old flight director gizmo needle on the ADI that I had not seen, being a T-33 troop back in 1965.

The best thing I ever saw was the A-7's flight path marker in our HUD. Not familiar to many here from the "commercial" community, seems to me. You could see the exact place where the jet was going - not attitude, but actual flight path with respect to local level, or the Earth.

As with many here, I agree that the pilots must demonstrate "basic" instrument and visual flying competence, regardless of all the "aids" and "commands" and such.