View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2013, 21:58
baggersup

When I first saw the documentary on the laundries many years ago, I nearly couldn't believe it. That such a horrendous civil rights abuse had gone on for decades with nobody standing up for these poor women.

The level of abuse was unbelieveable. In many cases they've been painted as women who got pregnant out of wedlock; but in alot of cases they were women impregnated by priests through rape or abuse. The church used it to cover up their own priest's abuses among other things, so it wouldn't get out what happened to the girls.

They also were often victims of incest in their homes.

So many situations were so egregious. One poor woman interviewed who was about 65 at the time of the interview said she was sent to the laundries at 15.

She was a poor farm girl who had been sent to a neighboring farm by her parents to alleviate the numbers in the home and earn a little to send home. She was very pretty. And when the farmer began giving her certain appreciative looks, the wife got upset and told the priest she was wanton and coming on to her husband!

The poor woman said she was to innocent and sheltered at that age she didn't even understand what wanton meant or what the wife was upset about and wanted her taken out of the way of her husband permanently.

So the priest came immediately, collected her and drove her to the laundries where she was incarcerated for years.

That level of abuse is unfathomable. I've never forgotten that documentary--and the film later was well done, too.

The film "Sunshine and Oranges" takes on the true British removal of children to homes in Australia. Not a pretty story either. One real life character was put in a boy's home out in the middle of nowhere, run by priests, who subjected them to harsh physical labor in the heat with no water, and systematically sexually abused the boys with impugnity.

Last edited by baggersup; 5th Feb 2013 at 21:59.