PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbird's thrust question
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2013, 21:34
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
You say toe-may-toe, I say toe-mah-toe

Very good technical thread despite the ad hominid attacks and such, unless they are directed to this old fighter pilot, heh heh. And I think we all learned a lot.

No doubt that the J-58 work helped in the design and performance of the F100 that powered my beloved Viper ten years later. So TNX to Dr Abernathy.

I wonder if we should call that sucker ( the F100) a "turbo-ramjet", as it bypassed a gob of air from the third comperssor stage via an annular duct back to the exhaust/burner ( versus 4th stage in the J-58). Certainly helped the overall thrust when in mil or burner power. Also allowed us a higher Mach than you would expect from a fixed inlet.

One pearl of wisdom from Dr Abernathy's article ( http://www.bobabernethy.com/pdfs/Nev...0of%20P&W3.pdf) has to do with the compressor blade flutter and deformation. So I lost a friend who liked to "run it out" after completing a test hop. Sure enough, one day he got a bit fast (I figure 800 knots indicated or so) and one of the compressor disks went boom and he didn't survive the ejection. Think it was the 4th stage one, not one of the fan ones up front.

All in all, one of the best technical threads I have seen.

Last edited by gums; 5th Feb 2013 at 21:36.