PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter - v - crane LONDON
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2013, 20:58
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’d be interested in informed opinions concerning some points I’ve been pondering since this accident.

Given the number of high rise buildings erected close to the River in recent years, there are some places where compliance with both the 500’ rule and the maximum permitted height is borderline at least. It's probably going to get more difficult. According to the press, at least 12 buildings more than 500 feet high are under construction/approved for construction in the next six years.
I don’t know if NATS is consulted/invited to make representations before planning permission is granted. Does anyone know?
In particular, I wonder if NATS was consulted before planning permission was granted for the Vauxhall Tower which is very close to the River and, when completed, will be 594 feet high.

One solution might be to allow helicopters to fly higher over London than currently permitted, particularly those using H4 through central London.
On my very rough calculation, aircraft inbound to Heathrow are at about 3200 over the centre of London. (Correction welcomed.) If that calculation is roughly correct, there seems to be scope for allowing helicopters to fly higher over central London – particularly when using H4, the area where most of the very tall buildings are or will be situated - and still maintain adequate separation.
What do professional pilots (aeroplane or helicopter) think?

We are permitted to temporarily deviate to the right of the route if necessary in order to obtain sufficient lateral separation from opposite direction traffic but there are places where that isn’t practical because of tall buildings.
This might lead to being asked more often to hold at one of the bridges until opposite direction traffic has passed or to accept reduced traffic separation.
That wouldn’t be necessary as often if helicopters on H4 were allowed to fly higher over central London.

Disclaimer: Just random thoughts for consideration. Not fully thought through.

FL

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 5th Feb 2013 at 21:07.