PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAS Offer and FRI's?
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2013, 17:42
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that cared, sorry for deleting some of my posts over the weekend. Too much wine and too little thought I am afraid.

But as someone with less than 10 years, so TACOS safe and no personal interest in this debate I just want to put my shaking head in my hands.

No wonder MoD is in such a paralous state, from a Business Model perspective if it were in the Private Sector it would be broke. As the Financial Times reported the drop in unemployment with a million jobs being added since 2010 has absolutely nothing to do with the state of economy, but reflects 'labour hoarding' where firms keep or recruit staff so as "to exploit opportunities when the recovery comes".

And here we are making people redundant and changing TACOS.

I regularly see many on Prune (normally ex Air Force in airline employment) talk about a maybe/maybe not recovery in the airline sector. Irrespective of the recently announced profits in Ryanair or EasyJet, the shop floor that I am working on is seeing many scope early employment outside of the airline sector as there appears no incentive to them to remain and are looking at all options. I also see significantly less experience (both in total hours and wider aviation experience beyond Iraq and Afghan).

I personally know of very few (if any?) Wg Cdrs that will be on less of a total remuneration package than someone on PAS.

If PAS goes or is reduced in such a degree not to attract our most gifted and experienced aircrew, then I look forward to seeing what the hierarchy will try and present as a viable alternative. Filling cockpit seats with enthusiastic and maliable new recruits is the easy bit. Making sure that the RAF flying environment is supervised, authorised; with correct training and standards will be the challenge if there is no incentive to keep our experienced aviation cadre.

Add the removal or significant reduction in PAS remuneration to all of the other changes and reductions in TACOS and it really will be a very simple choice to leave at an early age to truly get a second career and not attempt to scrabble around for suitable employment in your 50s waiting for your Service pension at 60 and a state pension at 67 plus.

Now either I really am missing something, or the current rumours of removing PAS will create an expensive RAF of the future (financially,but hopefully not in life).

Last edited by MaroonMan4; 5th Feb 2013 at 18:33.