PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windows 8 woes!
Thread: Windows 8 woes!
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2013, 09:25
Spitoon

Originally Posted by Milo
Interesting to state that so far I've not been asked to either install or repair a Windows 8 computer.
When Win7 came out I was inundated with calls
Seems to me things aren't happy with Win8 sales
Interesting suggestion. The alternative that went through my mind when I first saw the post was that maybe Win 8 was just working well for anyone who wanted it.

At that point I hadn't played with it. Since then I've installed it on my laptop and, as others have mentioned, I think it can be summed up as 'a bit different from earlier versions, fine when you get used it and it's got some pretty good improvements and tricks when you dig around under the bonnet'. I bought it as a boxed upgrade for the equivalent of about £40 (where I am at the moment) and I started to think it might be good to have on my main desktop that I use for business and important stuff. I'm a little perturbed to find that the upgrade assistant tells me that a couple of programs that I use on the desktop are marked as 'Upgrade available' but, in truth, I'll have to buy a brand new version if I want to continue using them and the cost will run into hundreds of £££. And then I take a look at the Microsoft site to see how much Win 8 would be now that the introductory discount period has ended and find that it's a little under £200.

So the decision is easily made. The things that have impressed me are not worth the cost and the possible problems that might accompany the upgrades.

So, if Milo was right about sales when Microsoft was offering it at what was, for me anyway, a reasonable price, I suspect that they'll go down the plughole now.

Shame really.