PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VMC and bank angle/turns
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2013, 07:53
RichPa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VMC and bank angle/turns

In the book Aerodynamics for Naval Aviator it says that for each degree of bank angle towards the good engine your Vmc reduces by approximately 3 kts.

That is, banking towards inoperative engine, your Vmc might get pretty high, right?

Reading some VMC theory, I don't get it how VMC changes so much if you bank. I assume that is if you want to maintain straight and level flight, right and it doesn't apply if you want to turn. That is, if after takeoff, climbing at Vy, you are in a turn 30 degrees bank angle and your top engine failed, your VMC is likely above or at actual speed and thus resulting in an out of control scenario? You can't roll level using opposite aileron or you just can't maintain straight and level using that bank angle? I don't get it at all.

Other example, when your engine fails, you may not be able to arrest the initial roll, that means if the airplane rolls, let's say 20 degrees towards the dead engine, when it fails, your actual Vmc equals your actual speed considering this scenario after takeoff when you are usually about 20 kts above published Vmc. So, again you may lose control at all if the bank angle - Vmc relation is correct.

To be more precise, if it fails and because of course you don't have an instant reaction, the airplane reaches a bank angle towards the dead engine, let's say 25 degrees, if VMC rises in this case it will reach a value maybe even above blue line, in this case the recovery is to reduce all the power on the operating engine and to hope you haven't already strike the ground. That's why i'm strugling to figure it out, I think there is a great difference if VMC changes with bank angle in a manner that you can't go back to wings level using opposite aileron. Maybe VMC is just for straight and level i.e. you still have aileron to control the roll and when you reach wings level you can maintain straight and level, but they seem to be coupled yaw/roll loss of control, don't know, just very confused about it.

Actually where I don't get it is if below Vmc you still have control to oppose the roll and to level the wings back or assume the 5 degrees bank into the operative and so reaching again the attitude where you can maintain straight flight. This is what confuses me at all.

To be more precise: you fly at VMC, banked 5 degress towards good engine, you can maintain straight and level flight using this banked 5 degrees attitude and also using full rudder. But let's say you bank 5 degrees towards dead engine because you want to turn in that direction, you don't have anymore rudder if hypotethical you want to assume straight flight using that banked attitude toward the dead engine, but you still have the possibility to roll back towards the good engine and there you have again the authority to maintain straight flight, right? Or I'm wrong and since you left the 5 degrees attitude towards good engine you lose all control and can recover only if you reduce the power on the good engine?

I also watched some videos where in single engine operation, light twins were banked normally during low and slow flight in single engine flying a normal traffic pattern. If so, they would lose control if VMC would be really increased when banking.

This theory also feeds the old never bank into dead engine rule. I'm not a ME rated pilot, but I hope will start my ME training soon, so at least I would like to be ready at least on the theory part of the issue which actually is the one which confuses me.

So what's the truth?

I hope you could follow me. Thank so much!

Last edited by RichPa; 5th Feb 2013 at 14:26.