PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Directors - a sometimes fatal attraction
Old 5th Feb 2013, 00:30
woodja51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FD use

Lots of good posts esp Centaurus' ! I too think that DDM techniques would assist training as would raw data basic take offs and landings in the initial stages.

Most Ab Initio pilots know how to power /pitch /attitude /trim from their initial aircraft, but this is almost lost to technology awe when moving to new jets.

A more 'what bloggs knows' 'what to teach 'how to teach approach would establish understanding that the new shiny automaton flies exactly like their duchess or seminole or whatever before...

I was advocating this approach to training RAAF pilots onto the new tanker KC30 to intro the aircraft in the first few sessions simply as no FMS/automatics at all .. Essentially just take off in ATT REF ...fly a few coordination exercises UAW ( upper air work ) and circuits just to prove it was a PC.9 on steroids. But that is not the way AB train pilots so the course altho modified tends to follow the AB method... Which is designed for a 1500 hour pilot as minimum design entry level by the way, not a 180 hour RAAF cadet... Same applies to the civi training..

Oh by the way , remember it is generally " both flight directors off " in the airbus to ensure speed mode remains engaged and also to ensure not following them does not lead to mode reversions etc... I have seen the results of missing one FD remaining on in sim etc under pressure..

That is my input ..